Monday, May 16, 2011

Tofu Temptation @ Ichi Ni

Special DOUBLE feature blog. My partner in crimes of gluttony Komal Nand will be posting her own review shortly. Here's mine of Ichi Ni Izakaya at 12 the Esplanade St Kilda.

Walk in to find yourself met with simple yet elegant black and wooden decor, and be seated by very conscientious and attentive staff. Sit outside if there's room, even on a cold day as the heaters are divine. Be served water while you decide on your starters. Now I am not often a fan of "starters" but here, they are a must.

Kaiso Salada - marinated seaweed with a delightful sesame dressing. If you don't appreciate the crunchy, nutty flavours and textures in this dish then that's one thing we disagree on. Devoured this between the two of us in no time. Luckily the other starter arrived shortly afterwards.

Ebi Mayo - Babykiwi knows more about this entree than I, but all I can say is: wow.



Then onto mains: by this point I was eagerly bouncing in my seat. I wasn't kept waiting long, thank goodness.
Yasai Kushi Don: a combination of 1 tofu skewer (tasted so much better than any chicken I've eaten! and no I'm not a vegetarian) 1 grilled shitake mushroom skewer, 1 zucchini and 1 eggplants skewer (the latter of which had a cheese topping). All of this on a bed of steamed rice with teriyaki sauce, japanese pickles and a complementary miso soup. If only there I could relive this dish.




To finish our meal, we ordered the fried icecream balls. Now, I have had fried icecream in many a place so I consider myself quite the expert. When these first arrived I was excited, the outside was cinnamon coated and puffed to perfection. However, while tasty and not a total dissapointment, the insides were a fruity, too sweet flavour rather than classic vanilla. I have to say, a scoop of ice cream that is battered and deep fried with a cinnamon sugar coating is not in need of anything extra. May have to try their famous chocolate spring rolls instead next time. However I went home with a happy stomach and a business card, as I am sure I will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment